Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published or made publicly available, nor is it before another journal for consideration.
- A 150-word maximum abstract must be submitted for consideration prior to paper submission.
- Titles should not exceed 20 words.
- Final papers must be a minimum of 2,400 words and no more than 10,000 words. A page with only figures is equivalent to 400 words.
- The submission file must be in Microsoft Word.
- The text is single-spaced; uses a 12-point font; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses); and all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed and referenced within the text (see Figure 1, etc.) at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- Specific commercial entities (e.g., retailers, manufacturers, property holders) or their products (specific brands or models, named or otherwise identifiable locations) may only be mentioned by name under two conditions: 1) the entity is already the subject of public comment regarding the technical topic at issue and properly cited — for example, in a government defect investigation/recall with the official document cited, or 2) the name is mentioned as part of a descriptive methodology or historical reference, without assertions of deficiency.
- Specific cited/referenced works shall be documented in IEEE formats as endnotes under the heading “References"
- Where available, Digital Object Identifier (DOI) for journal articles and International Standard Book Number (ISBN) will be included in the reference. If your citation tool does not include the DOI or ISBN in the ISEE format, add it to the end of the formatted reference.
- Media sources such as newspapers, websites, TV shows will include full citation of the specific article, broadcast segment, or web page instead of the just the title of the publication, website, or show.
- Commercial, government, educational, and other documents downloaded from the internet will include the website in the reference citation unless a DOI, ISBN, patent number, or Federal case docket number is cited.
In connection with my efforts as a presenter at any NAFE educational program and/or as an author of a NAFE Journal article, I may have occasion to perform tasks and activities which could be determined to constitute authorship under applicable copyright laws. It is my express intent never to exercise any intellectual property right in any NAFE document or publication, whether in final or draft form. With regard to any intellectual property I provide to NAFE, I hereby warrant that (1) I am the author of such work or that I have secured written consent for use of any portions of the work copyrighted by others and (2) to the best of my knowledge, the work does not violate or infringe the copyright or other personal property rights of others.
I hereby acknowledge that my participation in NAFE activities provides me with substantial and valuable benefits, including access to current and revised forensic engineering content, discussion of existing and emerging legal and forensic principles, concepts and trends, and the opportunity to review forensic engineering information prior to its dissemination to the broader engineering community.
Accordingly, for and in consideration of the foregoing, I hereby bargain, sell and irrevocably assign to the National Academy of Forensic Engineering (NAFE), all of my right, title and interest, property claim, and demand of every kind and nature whatever in any and all copyrights (including full and exclusive worldwide ownership of the copyright, and all of the rights comprised therein, in print and in all other media), under and by virtue of any acts of Congress, with the rights to any and all profits, benefits and advantage that may arise from printing, publishing or sale of printed copies, electronic versions or other media assigned to the NAFE.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.